Job Description – Finance Officer
This important role will assist in the execution of key finance duties and provide opportunities to develop strong working relationships across the organisation and with our member organisations. As well as delivering on key finance duties, there is the opportunity to carry out financial audits of our members’ projects in the areas of education, health, livelihoods, and human rights. These projects, which received €13.7m funding in 2020 reached almost 1.87 million people. Audits are usually done in person in countries such as Kenya, South Africa, etc. but are being undertaken remotely during the current COVID pandemic.
About Misean Cara
Misean Cara (MC) is a faith-based development organisation of 88 Irish religious congregations and lay missionary organisations working in over 50 countries. Our members live and work long-term with marginalised and vulnerable local communities in some of the world’s most impoverished and disadvantaged regions in the areas of education, health including HIV/AIDS, income generation, environmental sustainability, and human rights.
MC provides a range of supports for the international development work of our members. We access and distribute funding for high quality development initiatives, providing oversight through monitoring, evaluation, and audit. We support the enhancement of member capacity to deliver significant results through mentorship, research, learning and development activities and quality support.
Our members’ holistic approach to eliminating poverty targets the root causes of social inequalities through locally appropriate and context specific responses. In partnership with local communities, and other international and national agencies, this work continues to make a difference to the lives of the poorest. Misean Cara is governed by a Board of Directors elected by our members and is committed to implementing sector best practice to ensure that our processes and work are safe, effective, robust, and transparent.
Reporting to: Financial Controller
- Process all invoices received including approval for payment on a monthly basis.
- Post all monthly journals in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare monthly Management Accounts for review.
- Management of the AccountsIQ accounting system.
- Maintain and update the Fixed Asset Register. Job Description – Finance Officer
- Prepare monthly Payroll for approval and submit all associated returns.
- Management of the Parolla payroll system.
- Process regular Payments to members and suppliers for approval.
- Prepare monthly Bank Reconciliations for review.
- Assist with the completion of the annual Budget and quarterly Forecasts.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual Financial Statements (SORP).
- Assist with the preparation of reports (Annual, Directors, Donors, etc.).
- Liaise with Auditors (both internal and statutory) as required.
- Liaise with Donors in relation to the provision of financial information as required.
- Provide administrative support to the Finance Oversight Risk and Audit Committee (FORAC) on a quarterly basis.
- Support other teams in financial matters and secure value in use of resources.
- Monitor and oversee Supplier Contract renewals.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Financial Controller or CEO
Project specific tasks
- Conduct planned on-site and remote financial audits of Misean Cara funded projects.
- Ensure follow-up actions and recommendations are implemented in a timely manner • Maintain and update three-year rolling audit plan annually.
- Review financial aspects of project reports and provide recommendations for follow up to Project Officers in other teams where applicable.
- Liaise with relevant teams to ensure financial standards are met in applications, reports and monitoring practices.
- Act as the main financial contact and support for member projects based overseas,
Skills & Attributes - essential
- A recognised professional accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, etc.), finalist or an accounting degree.
- Minimum of two years relevant work experience.
- Strong track record of consistently delivering on time
- Ability to prioritise and manage tasks whilst consistently maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- High degree of analytical, conceptual and problem-solving skills.
- Prior auditing experience.
- Strong communication, relationship management and interpersonal skills (face to face and virtually).
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and ability to work on own initiative
- The role will involve regular travel to member projects overseas in developing countries to conduct audit visits when international travel can resume safely.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in using accounts and payroll packages (such as AccountsIQ and Parolla packages) or similar
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, in particular Excel (Intermediate to Advanced)
Skills & Attributes – desirable
- Experience in the NGO/charity sector or membership type organisation.
- Overseas experience in an international development context.
- General knowledge of compliance with relevant donor reporting guidelines.
- Other languages such as Spanish, Portuguese or, French.
- Previous experience in using Salesforce.
Accountability to Misean Cara
- Commitment to the values, ethos, goals and work of Misean Cara.
- An affinity with missionary development work and their partners.
- Uphold and strengthen at all times the strong reputation of Misean Cara and ensure integrity, credibility and transparency in all activities.
Terms and benefits:
- The post is offered on a two-year fixed term contract basis
- Salary: Officer band applicable €35,321-€46,910 (DOE)
- Working week: 37 hours net • 6 months’ probationary period
- Pension entitlement after probation • Life assurance cover upon joining Misean Cara
- 24 days annual leave + 1 mental health day entitlement • Annual accountancy membership fee reimbursed
- Training will be provided on Misean Cara’s bespoke IT Project Management System (MissionLinks)
- Training and study leave arrangements in place • Supportive team environment
- Full reference checks, safeguarding, and medical apply. Garda vetting may apply.
To apply: please send a cover letter (max one page) outlining how your motivation, experience and skills fit the role and an up-to-date CV to email@example.com Please insert “Finance Officer” in the subject line. Apply now. If you wish to speak to HR about this role, please call Marie Therese Fanning on 01-4055028. Further information about Misean Cara is available from www.miseancara.ie
Closing date: 6 th October at 17:00
Interviews: 12th October 2021.
Misean Cara is committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults, and implements a Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH) Policy with which all staff are expected to comply.
Misean Cara is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application.