Human Resources Manager - Trócaire
Trócaire works in partnership with local and church organisations, supporting communities in over 20 developing countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to bring about lasting change. Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where; people’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected; basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably; people have control over their own lives; those in power act for the common good.
Reporting to: The Director of Human Resources, Learning & Development, this role will manage the HR and L&D teams and is an integral part of the functions management team.
Managing: Six professionals: Three HR business partners, Two L&D Partners and the HR MIS Support role
Contract & Location: This post is offered on a three year fixed term contract initially and is based in Trócaire’s Head Office, Maynooth Co Kildare. There will be some travel to Trócaire’s office locations in Ireland and potentially overseas.
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding people within our Programmes from exploitation and abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) These detail the expected behaviour and the responsibilities of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. The Human Resources Manager is required to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
As the designated Garda vetting officer – Personal vetting is required of the post holder.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Leadership & Management
- Provide vision and strong leadership in the management of the Human Resources and Learning and Development Teams.
- Lead, motivate, coach, inspire and support the functions professional staff, to enable a high performing team to achieve a best in class HR, L&D service.
- Ensure the continued development and promotion of the partnership model and approach of working.
- Provide guidance, support and insight, to enable the achievement of objectives in the delivery of the Organisational People agenda and related strategies.
- Lead on the consultation and development process of multiannual operational work plans for the HR and L&D teams that deliver the strategic outcomes of the Strategic Plan and the programmes of the People Strategy.
- Lead on the continuous development and quality improvement of the core HR functions of policy, compensation, benefits, staffing, recruitment, on-boarding, training, employee relations, management training, wellness, and compliance.
- Working collaboratively with the Director, drive, influence and guide the cultural and people aspects of development and change management with leaders to build a culture of high performance, achievement and accountability in a manner that supports employee engagement, participation and ongoing commitment.
- Play a key role in the creation of future strategies by bringing professional experience, skills, research and opinion into the consultative development of strategy in the unit.
Engagement & Relationships
- Build, develop and maintain effective, co-operative relationships of a strategic nature with internal and external stakeholders who are instrumental in achieving HR and L&D objectives
- Drive the HR agenda with the functional leaders, ensuring that priorities, values and behaviours are embedded across the organisation.
- In particular, build on existing employee engagement programmes such as the Great Place to Work Initiative and identify new and creative approaches to engage all employees. Coordinate reports on internal survey results and assist in the development of action plans including focus groups as appropriate.
- Manage and develop the IR relationship with the Union Committee ensuring a partnership approach of engagement, inclusion and cooperation. Ensure the maintenance of excellent Union/Management relationships through regular consultation and engagement and support to the HR Partners.
- Drive an integrated Performance Management culture, supported by developing and providing performance management systems and tools.
Structure, Profile & Communications
- Work closely with the Director, hiring managers and HR partners to ensure a designed organisation that is agile and can respond to the future needs.
- Work closely with the Director and L&D team to reshape that function and develop current capabilities
- Ensure Trócaire’s profile as a potential employer is developed and promoted as part of a brand strategy including building key strategic relationships with 3rd Level Institutions
- Drive the improvement to the on-boarding process, ensuring best practice sourcing and attracting the highest calibre candidates while creating an excellent employee experience.
- Support Internal Communications strategies to ensure effective internal communication of the work of the function.
- Work as key part of the HR leadership team in developing a seamless and integrated HR approach to operationalise the Trócaire People Strategy, providing a full range of effective HR services
- Working in collaboration with the Director ensure delivery of relevant People strategy programme work streams, as part of key HR programmes. Develop KPI’s to ensure all operational activity is measurable and is in compliance with regulatory and policy requirements, operated consistently and driven by a need for continuous improvement.
- Build the expertise and support capacity of HR Partners to managers to ensure solutions are realistic, timely, fair, and consistent
- Initiate projects to establish, improve or cease processes, systems and procedures impacting all aspects of the employee life-cycle. Ensure all projects are delivered on-time, inspire, and motivate a high performing team that meets their objectives.
- Prepare and report on organisational salary budgets, resource planning and strategic allocation and function activity budgets.
- Build a culture of staff safety, security and wellbeing playing an active role in crisis management and business continuity.
- To take responsibility for other key projects and initiatives as assigned by the Director.
- Represent Trócaire at senior level at external networks and with service providers
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
- Professional HR Related Degree/MSC and CIPD qualified
- A minimum of five years in a leadership/senior HR role with experience of managing a team of professionals
- A demonstrable track record of achievement and delivery of strategy through comprehensive work plans and successful implementation.
- Experience leading and managing in a complex and rapidly changing environment with a track record of building capacity and capabilities to adapt to and manage change.
- Experience operating within a Unionised environment
- Demonstrated experience of strategic HR Business Partnering, coupled with expertise in employee engagement.
- Proven leadership and team working skills with the ability to develop and motivate professionals.
- As the role requires management of a diverse range of professionals and influencing stakeholders, exceptional interpersonal skills, networking, negotiation, Influencing, presentation, oral and written communications skills are essential with the ability to connect and develop trust quickly with all levels within an organisation
- Confidence in handling ambiguity and fluid situations and an abundance of common sense and pragmatism is required
- A strategic thinker with the ability to convert strategy into programmes, projects and operational execution. Ability and passion to drive operational excellence.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast paced environment; Manage own time and workload effectively and the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Detail and goal-oriented, has the flexibility to deal with multiple and changing priorities while focused on service and quality
- Demonstrate leadership behaviours, act as a visible role model, living the brand values and setting high standards through own behaviour and actions driving a highly engaged workforce.
- A sense of humour and instinctive desire to collaborate with others in a friendly, dynamic culture
- An approach to work based on integrity; values-driven; flexible and open to change.
- Wants to build an environment of high trust with own team and colleagues in the wider organisation.
- Strong self-management with a high level of energy and flexibility.
- Sympathy with and understanding of the ethos and values of Trócaire.
Person Specification – Desirable
- Professional L&D related qualification
- In a leadership/senior HR role with experience of managing a team of professionals in the not for profit sector in an international organisation
- Second Language Ability in either/both Spanish or French
- A strong knowledge of Irish/UK employment legislation and the proven ability to translate this into practical advice for leaders
 As this post is based on the Island of Ireland, non EU / EEA nationals will require current and valid permission to work and reside in the Island of Ireland as work permits are only issued in exceptional
 All offers of employment with Trócaire may be subject to Garda Vetting/PSNI clearance.
All new hires are required to complete a Self-Declaration Form and sign up to our Code of Behaviour contained in our Safeguarding Children Policy. For additional information please consult the Human Resources Department in our Head Office.